Advocating And Protecting Your Rights For Over 40 Years

  1. Home
  2.  – 
  3. Personal Injury
  4.  – How Do I Get A Police Report After A Car Accident In Michigan?

Need A Police Report After A Michigan Car Accident? Here’s What To Do.

When pursuing a personal injury claim, every piece of evidence you can gather is vital to your case. This is especially the case for police reports.

Obtaining a police report can seem tricky at first, but the following information should help. At Bahrie Law, PLLC, we have an experienced legal team that can assist Lansing and Detroit injury victims at every stage of a car accident claim.

Why You Need A Police Report After A Car Accident

As mentioned, a legal case will stand or fall based on the evidence that is presented. There are few pieces of evidence more detailed than a police report. Once you have obtained this report, you can present it to insurance companies and the courts if necessary.

Details contained within a police report include:

  • Contact information of those involved in the crash
  • Witness details
  • An in-depth analysis of the crash
  • Road and weather conditions
  • Types of injuries suffered
  • An officer’s opinion on what caused the accident

All of this information could be pivotal to your personal injury claim.

In Michigan, individuals are required to file a police report if the accident resulted in property damage of $1,000 or more, if the crash resulted in an injury, or if the crash resulted in a death.

How Do You Obtain A Police Report After A Michigan Car Accident?

The precise form that you need is called a UD-10 Traffic Crash Report. Generally, there are two ways that you can request this:

  • The first way is to contact your local police department. The records clerk should be able to inform you about Freedom of Information Act policies and the steps you need to take to obtain a crash report.
  • The second is to go online and purchase a traffic crash report through the Michigan State Police website. You’ll need to register for this service and pay a $15 administration fee. A personal injury lawyer in Michigan can help with these processes.

Call Us Today To Start Your Personal Injury Claim

Obtaining a police report is one of the first steps in a personal injury claim. The personal injury attorneys at Bahrie Law, PLLC, have several years of experience in this area.

Call us today at 888-473-1289 or reach out to us online to schedule a consultation.