Experienced Defense Against Assault Charges In Michigan
When facing assault charges, the path ahead might seem daunting, but you don’t have to navigate it alone. Our legal team at Bahrie Law, PLLC is here to stand by your side, providing experienced guidance and a relentless defense to ensure your rights are protected throughout the legal process. With our commitment to securing favorable outcomes for our clients, we are your trusted advocates in Lansing.
What Is Assault?
Assault is a serious criminal offense that involves intentionally causing apprehension of harmful or offensive contact or deliberately causing physical harm to another person. In Michigan, assault charges encompass a range of actions, from verbal threats that create fear of harm to actual physical altercations resulting in injuries. The severity of assault charges can vary based on aspects such as the degree of harm inflicted, the use of weapons, and the relationship between the parties involved.
What Are The Penalties For Assault In Michigan?
The penalties for assault convictions in Michigan can be substantial and may vary depending on the specific circumstances of the case. Common penalties for assault convictions include:
- Misdemeanor Assault: Simple assault, often charged as a misdemeanor, can lead to penalties such as fines, probation, mandatory anger management classes, and potential jail time, especially if there is a history of prior convictions.
- Aggravated Assault: This involves more severe actions, like assaulting someone with the intention to cause severe harm or using a deadly weapon. Aggravated assault is a felony offense, carrying harsher penalties, including substantial fines and potential imprisonment.
It’s important to note that a criminal record resulting from assault charges can have far-reaching consequences, impacting employment opportunities, housing applications, and other aspects of your life. Having a skilled Lansing assault attorney on your side can greatly improve your chances of avoiding or mitigating these consequences.
Defenses Against Assault Charges
Navigating assault charges requires a comprehensive understanding of the legal system and the ability to craft strong defense strategies specific to your situation. Our experienced Lansing assault lawyers are well-versed in a range of defense tactics, including:
- Self-Defense: If you acted to protect yourself or others from imminent harm, self-defense may be a viable defense strategy. Our attorneys will investigate the circumstances and gather evidence to establish the validity of your self-defense claim.
- Lack of Intent: Proving assault requires demonstrating that the act was intentional. If it can be shown that you did not have the intent to cause harm, the charges may be reduced or dismissed.
- Mistaken Identity: In some cases, mistaken identity can lead to false accusations. We will meticulously examine the evidence to decide whether you were wrongly identified as the perpetrator.
- Consent: If the alleged victim gave you consent to the contact or altercation, this can serve as a defense against assault charges.
Contact Our Lawyers Today
When your future hangs in the balance, having a seasoned criminal defense team on your side can make all the difference. At Bahrie Law, PLLC, our Lansing assault attorneys are devoted to protecting your rights, reputation, and freedom. We approach each case with a commitment to thorough research, strategic planning, and vigorous advocacy. Contact Bahrie Law, PLLC today online or by calling 888-473-1289 to get started with our Lansing assault attorney.