Attorneys Handling Domestic Abuse Cases
Domestic violence, also known as, domestic abuse, is a routine set of behaviors which consists of violence or abuse via one individual towards another in a domestic environment, which includes marriage and cohabitation.
Romantic spouse violence is violence by a spouse or partner in a romantic relationship towards the other spouse or partner. Domestic violence takes place in both heterosexual and same-sex household relationships. Occasionally, these cases consist of violence towards kids in the family as well.
If you or a close family member have experienced this type of abuse, reach out to Bahrie Law. We will fight for your safety.
The Types of Domestic Abuse
Domestic abuse and violence takes several different kinds of form.
Actual physical assault (which can consist of kicking, hitting, spitting, biting, pushing forcefully, restraining, slapping, throwing objects, or battery), or unwanted sexual contact, sexual intimidation, stalking (refer to PPO page for further details).
Domestic abuse or violence can also be classified as, endangerment, felony coercion, kidnapping, trespassing, and or verbal harassment. The State of Michigan treats domestic abuse as follows:
- First Charge is considered a misdemeanor, with a maximum jail time of 93 days which can include a fine of $500.
- Second Charge is still considered a misdemeanor, with a maximum jail time of one year which can include a fine of $1,000.
- Third Charge is considered a felony, with a maximum jail time of two years, which can include a fine of $2,500.
The State of Michigan treats assault where the victim received serious injuries as aggravated domestic assault. The State views these issues differently:
- First Charge is considered a misdemeanor, with a maximum jail time of one year, with possible fines of $1,000.
- Second Charge is considered a felony and carries a maximum of two years of jail time, with fines possible of $2,500.
Let Our Attorneys Help You Defend Your Rights
If you have been a victim of domestic abuse or you are being charged with domestic abuse or aggravated assault, please contact us immediately. Use the expertise of an educated, experienced firm to help preserve your rights and securities. Here at Bahrie Law, PLLC, we have been protecting and working for people’s rights for over 40 years, and we are ready to fight for your rights too.