Attorney in Jackson, MI
Proudly Representing Jackson County
Dealing with the aftermath of someone else’s negligent conduct or a serious workplace accident is not easy. You are likely dealing with serious injuries requiring extensive medical treatment and ongoing care. You may be unable to return to work while you recover and, if your injuries result in permanent disability, you may never be able to earn a living to support yourself or your family again.
At Bahrie Law, we understand the challenges you are up against. Our Jackson personal injury attorneys are prepared to help you navigate the process of recovering compensation for your medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering. We fight tirelessly for our clients, providing personalized legal strategies and aggressive, results-oriented representation every step of the way.
We focus a significant portion of our practice on personal injury litigation, as well as workers’ compensation and Social Security disability.
What Damages Can You Recover in a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
Often, injured individuals have the option of filing a first-party claim with their own insurance provider after an accident. Under Michigan’s no-fault car accident system, this is actually the first step for most injured accident victims. However, there are some instances—including other types of accidents aside from motor vehicle collisions—that may necessitate a third-party claim or personal injury lawsuit.
The purpose of a personal injury lawsuit is to allow you to recover compensation for your economic and non-economic losses caused by the accident/incident. These may include:
- Emergency medical care costs
- Surgeries, medications, and treatments
- Ongoing and future medical expenses
- Rehabilitation/physical therapy
- Lost income, wages, and other employment benefits
- Lost future earnings
- Lost or reduced earning capacity due to disability
- Pain and suffering, including emotional distress and trauma
- In-home care costs
- Expenses associated with necessary home modifications
At Bahrie Law, our Jackson personal injury lawyers evaluate every case to determine exactly which damages our clients are owed. We take the time to understand your losses, as well as the full impact of the accident on your everyday life and your future. From there, we aggressively negotiate with the liable insurance company in our efforts to secure maximum compensation on your behalf.
Workers’ Compensation Benefits in Michigan
If you are injured at work, you are likely covered by workers’ compensation. Nearly all employees—including part-time, full-time, and seasonal workers—are eligible to file for workers’ compensation benefits in Michigan.
These benefits may include:
- Medical benefits, including all “reasonable and necessary” expenses associated with treating your work-related injury or illness
- Temporary disability benefits/wage loss benefits, which are calculated based on a specific percentage of your average weekly wage
- Total permanent disability benefits if you suffer a qualifying “total and permanent disability,” such as an incurable mental condition, blindness, or the loss of two limbs
- Specific loss benefits for certain injuries—such as the loss of an arm, eye, finger, foot, leg, or toe—which are calculated based on 80% of your average weekly wage
- Vocational rehabilitation, including expenses associated with retraining and job-placement services following a work-related injury or illness
Additionally, when a person dies due to a work-related injury or illness, their surviving spouse, children, and other dependents can recover death benefits. These include up to $6,000 for burial/funeral costs and up to 80% of the decedent’s average weekly wage.
To learn more about your benefits and filing a claim, contact our Jackson workers’ compensation attorneys. We can represent you at every stage of the process, including appealing denied claims and/or early termination of benefits.
Bahrie Law Can Fight for You
Whether you were recently involved in a serious car or motorcycle accident or became disabled after an on-the-job accident, Bahrie Law is ready to fight for you. Since 1979, our firm has been proudly representing individuals and families throughout Michigan, including in Jackson and the surrounding areas. We have multiple office locations to better serve you and provide free initial consultations to all new and prospective clients.
When you choose Bahrie Law, you get an attorney who is dedicated to you and your case. You also get an entire legal team that is prepared to answer your questions and provide the information you need to make the right decisions about your future.