Spousal Support Attorneys in Lansing
Metro Detroit Lawyers
Spousal support, also known as alimony, are financial payments to the other partner for their support and well-being. The purpose of alimony is to help the one party get back on their feet after a divorce. Although divorce is a no-fault system, fault comes in when determining an alimony award. Typically, alimony awards are reserved for long-term marriages where there is a large disparity of income. The longer the marriage or larger disparity in earning potential, the more likely an alimony award is going to be granted Regardless of whether it is long-term or short-term support, make sure your rights and needs are protected.
Bahrie Law is here to make sure that your legal needs are satisfied. We will help inform, guide, and protect your rights throughout your divorce process. Call us at (800) 785-9924!
How Courts in Michigan Consider Spousal Support
When considering spousal support payments, Michigan courts usually take a few common factors into consideration.
These factors include:
- How many years did the marriage last?
- What were the financial earning capabilities of both parties during the marriage?
- What were the results of Property Division?
- How old are the parties?
- Do either of the parties have any disabilities?
- Can either party financially make spousal payments?
- What is the current situation of both parties?
- What are the core needs of the parties?
- What is the current health status of each party?
- What were the parties prior living situation, and will they have a loss of quality of living?
- The courts can consider many other factors to help a judgment be as equal as possible.
Spousal support payments range quite drastically from case to case. Judgments can even differ county to county and occasionally between judges.
Spousal support awards are inconsistent simply because many state statutes do not cover particularly how to calculate the award and payments. The truth of the matter, predicting what the amount of award at trial is extremely difficult, considering there are no regulations on exactly how to determine the value. Therefore, alimony awards can be negotiated and included or excluded in the judgment of divorce.
How to Reduce Your Exposure to Alimony
- Eliminate unnecessary dwelling costs.
- Determining and documenting that your spouse is supporting their personal necessities with very little to no monetary support from you.
- Reduce overall debt.
- Assist your spouse in getting a job or learning new income earning skills.
- Spend as much time with your children as possible.
- Research and Investigate any marital misconduct.
- Do NOT have interactions or perform any act related to marital misconduct.
Keep in mind that anything typed in a text message, email, or on a social media site will likely find its way to the courtroom.
Contact Us Today to Get One of Our Compassionate Lawyers on Your Side
Bahrie Law is well-educated and knowledgeable when it comes to divorce and alimony. Due to the complex and difficult nature in determining alimony, selecting an attorney with experience and expertise is critical.
Bahrie Law is here to provide you with the right defense, at the right time, in the right place. We are here to work with you and for your rights. Call as at (800) 785-9924!
$1,775,000Wrongful Death In Jail
The client had swallowed windshield-wiper fluid but police reportedly thought he was drunk. Case settled in with one defendant and went to trial with the other
The driver likely was not paying attention to the road as he ran a stop sign and failed to yield before crossing an intersection and crashed into a large tree. The client underwent 3 shoulder surgeries. The case settled at mediation.
The at-fault driver ran a stop sign and collided with a vehicle in which the client—who was pregnant with a 22-week old unborn child—was a passenger.
Thank you Justin Bahrie and your entire law firm
“I will be recommending them to all my friends and family not just for disability but any other things that come up in life great people to work with.”
- Darrell R.
I would completely trust this law firm.
“Even when I had doubts, he took the time to patiently explain things to me, which really helped reduce my stress. I am really glad that I listened to his counsel, and followed his advice. He definitely knows his stuff.”
- Rachael J.
This by far has been a great experience
“If you're not sure whom to choose as your attorney, please give Bahrie Law a chance to win your case!!! They are just awesome!!!”
- Raquel A.
Thank You Bahrie Law!
“Justin Bahrie made me feel confident that I would be well-represented through a very trying time and was successful in getting me a positive ruling in my case.”
- Lyle W.
I highly recommend Bahrie Law!
“Justin made me feel at ease from the beginning. He is knowledgeable and fair. His guidance and experience were extremely helpful in a very difficult time.”
- Katie E.